Fall 2019. Syria is in ruins and for the most part is under control of the tyrannical Assad regime assisted by Russia, Iran and militias under control of the Iranian regime. Cities like Raqqa were liberated from ISIS by the U.S. with horrific costs to civilians. Only three areas are not under total Assad control, the province of Idlib, the area in the north controlled by a Syrian-Kurdish militia which it calls Rojava, and al Rukban, a refugee camp near the Iraq and Jordanian borders housing some 30,000 people.
Russian and Assad planes and helicopters are raining mayhem down on the population of Idlib. In May, 25 medical facilities were bombed and around 600 people killed.
What peaceful measures can be take to help Syrians? Here is a list:
· Have the U.S. use its radar to warn Syrians in Idlib on approaching air attacks
It used radar from "Rojava" to keep U.S. and Russian planes safely apart. Use it now to save lives.
· Close U.S. airports to Aeroflot, the Russian airliner
This measure of economic pressure would send a message to Putin.
· Immediately resupply al Rukban from the U.S. base in Syria 30 or so miles away.
· Get International justice organization to draw up lists of Russians involved in war crimes from politicians to pilots
· Restore U.S. funding to Syrian civil society. Increase funding to the White Helmets.
· Donate to Syrian doctors via MedGlobal
· Turkey and Jordan, Reopen the borders for refugees.
Search for weapons, but allow people in. Increase payments to the countries from the international community.
· USA, allow in thousands of Syrian refugees
It's the right thing to do and the least we can do after killing 1,000+ civilians in Raqqa
· Israel, allow the return of Syrian-Palestinians to their homes
· Make it plain to the Assad regime that there will be no international money for reconstruction until it empties its prisons
· Investigate current U.N. humanitarian aid to stop the "rake-off" to Assad officials
- Pay for Syrians to rebuild Raqqa
- No pressure by Lebanese or Turkish governments to get Syrian refugees to return to Assad run areas
RESOLUTION SUBMITTED FOR CONSIDERATION BY THE 2019 NATIONAL CONVENTION OF
VETERANS FOR PEACE, SPOKANE, WASHINGTON, AUGUST 15-18, 2019:
“SACRED LAND, SACRED LIVES: END THE ONGOING BLOODSHED IN SYRIA”
WHEREAS Representative Ilhan Omar has said: “The people of Syria revolted against Assad’s repressive dictatorship, demanding a more just and free government. Peace loving people around the world stand in solidarity with them in this struggle!” (3/15/2019)
WHEREAS Representative Rashida Tlaib has said: “[On] the anniversary of the uprising against the oppression in Syria…we must recognize the struggle of those who organized and stood up against injustice.” (3/16/2019)
WHEREAS Physicians for Human Rights has reported: “In this latest round of targeted violence centered on… Idlib, the Syrian government and its Russian allies have carried out no fewer than 20 attacks on health facilities. PHR has been able to document nine of those attacks so far – all of which were perpetrated by the government and its allies – and continues to research previous and emerging reports.” (phr.org)
WHEREAS our sisters in CodePink have stated: “The U.S. coalition, the Assad government and Russia continue to devastate the already war-torn country. (CodePink mailing July 22, 2016)
WHEREAS our brothers and sisters in Iraq Veterans Against the War/About Face, founded with the support of VFP, have stated: “As we oppose US intervention…we also acknowledge [that] Bashar Al-Assad has responded brutally to a popular, non-violent uprising for democracy and freedom... The US, Russia, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Qatar, and Turkey have utilized Syria as a battleground for their proxy wars… Without an end to ALL foreign intervention, the Syrian people can’t truly be free. (IVAW blog, 4/12/2017)
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that Veterans for Peace calls for AN END TO ALL FOREIGN MILITARY INTERVENTION IN SYRIA, INCLUDING THAT OF THE UNITED STATES, RUSSIA, IRAN AND ALL OTHER PARTIES
Submitted by Andrew Berman, Veterans for Peace, Chapter 27
The measure was ruled out of order by VFP leadership which wants no mention that Russians and Iranians are also committing crimes in Syria. It was not debated.